Thursday, September 20, 2007

What next?

So I'm ready to begin a new project, or I could pick up the ol' mystery stole (aka, Swan Lake Stole). But I'm feeling a wee bit stuck. I'm frustrated with the stole, though I am about 2/3 of the way through with it. But I have to rip back to about the halfway point and then knit the second half. I have given up on the wing design. I am just not feeling the love. But truth be told I think I might want to rip the whole thing back because I don't think I'm even loving this thing without the wing. Oh how I hate to frog. Hate it! What should I do?! Maybe I'll just let it rest for a while longer til I'm feeling motivated by it again. I don't really like to allow my projects to hibernate for any length of time. Don't like having unfinished projects (unless I am actively working on them of course). Anyway, I'm just not sure what to do with this one. To make matters worse I can't remember which size needles I was using. Pretty sure it was 5's, but I'm just not positive.
My husband's aunt asked me to make her a Wool Peddler's Shawl (from Folk Shawls). I've made this shawl twice before, once for my mom, and once for my mother in law. So Pete's aunt (my MIL's sister) would like the exact same shawl, same yarn & everything as the one I made for my MIL. I offered up some other colors, and other patterns, but she wants one identical to her sister. Pretty funny. So I ordered the yarn - Knitpicks Andean Treasure (which is a dream to knit with by the way) and will start on that when it arrives. It's a super easy pattern; it was my first shawl and my first lace, but much of it is garter stitch, so that gets a little tiresome. Still, I love knitting with that yarn so much, I think I will enjoy working on it. Here's my mother-in-law with her shawl.

Today begins my weekend, so hurray for that! I am suddenly in the mood for some vegetable gardening, just about 5 months too late. Doh! I am thinking about trying to grow some winter veggies this year, but it'll have to be in containers because I'm definitely not motivated to traipse through the muddy yard once the rains start. So I may see if I can find some suitable veggie boxes or pots this weekend. Fun.

Oh, and one more thing... I just discovered this knitting/crochet show that's happening next weekend in Oakland. Doesn't that look like a fun way to spend a day & a little cash?!

4 comments:

Sue said...

Oh both those shawls look beautiful. How funny that your aunt wants the same color too. The design looks so pretty. Perhaps if you leave the other shawl for a while the motivation will come back to finish it off. Maybe you could make a little paver path to the vegie patch and avoid the mud when it rains.

Anonymous said...

I've never really knit a lace shawl before so I can't help you there. That's a pretty shawl so I bet you'll have no prob knitting another!

Ella said...

How ironic that I just read Brooklyn Tweed's post about frogging... "a little frogging goes a long way". If you've just pulled it out again and are still not feeling the love, if it's just not speaking to you in that "i LOVE this pattern in an obsessive kind of way" tone, say a little ribbit to yourself and frog away. I hate to frog too, but there's a reason you picked this yarn and perhaps you will love it for another project... one that will give you that "come hither and KNIT ME" kind of look.

Ain't nuthin like the love for the knittin and if it ain't there, it ain't there. :D

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Robin said...

i feel your pain with the MS3.. I am thinking of frogging mine also. I am using size 3 needles and I just think it will be so small and I am not to crazy about the wing thing going on unless i use bigger needles. I am thingking maybe at least a 6 or 7.. I am only on clue 3 so there will not be to much to take out.lol.. let me know what you decide.. I am pretty in pink of Raverly...