Thursday, April 19, 2007

Room Redo & a Simple Sock

I've been awfully quiet here lately. I've got lots of non-knitting stuff going on these days and it's consuming a lot of my time and attention. It's all good though.

We finally finished painting our office room. The wallpaper removal and subsequent wall repair turned out to be a bigger project than we anticipated, but now that it's all done I am ver pleased. We painted the walls a color called "Provence Yellow" and the trim is a cheery teal/turquoise called "Surf Blue", plus a few brownish accents, a color called monkey king or something like that.



Here's the before picture:

I'm pleased with the end result. We still need to get rid of some of the furniture that was in that room and add some decorative touches, but so far it is a huge improvement.

And on the knitting front, I've been working away on my leaf lace shawl. For some reason every row seems to take me much longer than it ought to. But I'm not in any hurry, so that's okay too. And I started a basic sock in some knitpicks simple stripes that I've had for ages and was not too thrilled with the colors, but lately it feels like just the thing - happy and bright colors, easy peasy knitting to carry around with me.



I see that our local knitting guild is putting on a "Sock Symposium" next month. I'm thinking maybe I'll make an effort to go to this event. I joined the knitting guild recently thinking it would be good for me to meet some other knitters and go to some of their "Knit at Nights". But I still haven't worked up the nerve to attend any of those meetings. I am so lame! I'd like to connect with some other real life knitters, but I just hate going to stuff where I don't know anybody. I'm painfully shy. But this sock symposium sounds like it might be a structured enough event that I may just be brave enough to make an appearance. Anyway, it's a whole month away.

And last weekend's movie roundup... we watched "Children of Men", which was a little bit disturbing, but very engaging and thought-provoking. My husband was more troubled by the movie's depressing depiction of the future and I think was left feeling troubled by the film. "Happy Feet" - we almost shut it down after the first 20 minutes or so because it just seemed so sappy. But then we kinda got into it and really enjoyed it more than we expected. Those South American penguins were a crack-up. We also watched a very charming documentary called "My Date with Drew", about a 27 year old guy in LA who has had a crush on Drew Barrymore since he was a kid and he wants very much to meet her so he makes a film about his impressive attempts to get a date with her. It's really a pretty sweet and funny movie.

Tonight's my favorite TV night of the week - The Daily Show, The Office, Grey's Anatomy. Oh how I love Thursdays! Plus, I don't work on Fridays so this is the beginning of big weekend fun. Have a fabulous weekend!

No comments: