Monday, May 21, 2007

I am NOT a Slacker

I've been a blog slacker lately, I know. But I have a pretty good excuse. Taking up much of my time these days...is weed-wacking season. Oh how I love to wack those weeds! Our yard consists of a little more than 2 acres of weeds that need to be wacked once a year. It is a very big job, and I love the challenge, though I will probably feel differently about it after another week or so of this. Everyone thinks we should get a riding mower, or some other heavy duty yard maintenance equipment. Believe me, we have tried a lot of different tools, and the weed wacker has turned out to be the right one for the job. The yard is fairly rocky, and not level and the grass gets to be more than 5 feet high in places, so everything else we've tried has failed, but I do love my trusty, industrial strength weedwacker. It makes me feel powerful, and destructive and all in a good way. Somehow the weedwacking has come to be my responsibility and I love the challenge. I usually try to wait until we're fairly certain that we've had the last rain of the season, and til most of the grass is good and dead, dry. But my goal this year is to complete this job by the first weekend in June. So far I've only put in an hour or two at a time, usually after work, but I'm going to have to put in some longer shifts at this if I'm going to meet my goal.
Here's my progress so far. It is less than 1/4 of the yard, but still it feels like an accomplishment.

As for knitting, I'm working on a waving lace sock from Favorite Socks, I'll post pictures of that when I've completed one. And I'm slowly making progress on the Kimono shawl. I'm taking a very relaxed approach to both projects. No manic knitting for me right now. There's just too much else to do this time of year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG! You have a huge yard to weed whack. That would send my allergies into overdrive. Can't wait to see your finished projects again.