Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Sock Monkey Love

I'm a big fan of sock monkeys. My great aunt made one for me when I was little, and I still have it and display it proudly along with my brother's sock monkey of the same era. And I've made a few for the children of friends and family. I even dressed as a sock monkey for halloween one year. God that was hillarious! So you can imagine my delight when I got a surprise package in the mail today from my friend Donna and this is what was inside:It's a fabulous sock monkey quilted bag! How cute is that! Here's the back side:

Here is a closer up of the fabrics. I can't get over how cute it is!

Years ago I made sock monkeys for each of Donna's two boys and they both seemed to love them. So much so that when I went to visit a year or two later they showed me how they had made stick on mustaches for the monkeys, which I thought was super clever and adorable. Sock monkeys in disguise. Kids just crack me up!

Here are my childhood sock monkeys, circa 1974ish:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can feel the monkey love! So cute.

Ella said...

~laughing~

I used to have a roommate who was deathly afraid of sock monkeys. The girl next door would come leave hers in hiding places around our room and whisper... "sooooooock moooonkeeeeeeyyyy" in the middle of the night.

Yours are very very cute - I love the wee faces block pattern!