Tuesday, February 20, 2007

My kind of weekend!

Wow! What a spectacular weekend at the coast! I hardly know where to begin. We headed down to Pacific Grove on Friday, checked into Borg's motel at Lover's Point. This place is really kind of hillarious. The view is to die for - just perfect. Full on frontal ocean view. Unbeatable. But the room was bordering on divey. As in, not much in the way of updates since the 50's. And the bathroom was comically teensy. A 26" square shower, with the shower head at about shoulder level, so I had to do some pretty deep squats just to get my head wet. Were people much shorter back in the 50's or what? And I swear to god, every time I sat on the toilet I was afraid I would knock my chin on the sink. Just weird. But you know, it was so worth it! I LOVE being able to hear the waves at night, and our room was just perfect for that, and it was warm enough to sleep with the window open, so really, it was unbeatable.
And Pacific Grove is just the most charming town. We went for some gorgeous walks along the waterfront, saw tons of seals, sea otters and other cool water creatures. We dined at some fabulous restaurants, including one with belly dancers! How fun is that?!

On Saturday we took a drove to Point Lobos State Reserve, which is now very high on my list of most beautiful places in the world. It was so stunningly gorgeous. Really incredible. There are wonderful hiking trails with amazing views in all directions. Indescribable really. Just go there.
Then we took a drive to Big Sur, which was itself breathtaking. Maybe my favorite experience of the whole weekend was driving down the coast with my honey, the windows down, warm coastal breezes blowin, listening to Stevie Wonder singing "As" (what a great song!) - I was kinda teary with all the love going on at that moment. Lunch at Nepenthe to top it all off, then back to our cheesey motel with the million dollar view! It just doesn't get any better than that.
Oh, but wait, yes it does. Monday morning, AKA, MY BIRTHDAY, my honey gives me my birthday gift - it's an elph! I am in love with it. Look at how preciously tiny it is.

And it takes great pictures too! Here's one from the car, as we were heading home, about to go over the Golden Gate bridge.

So there's more... but it'll have to wait for another post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great time!

Lia said...

Oh, how I miss the Bay Area!! Looks like you had a great time - Happy Belated Birthday! No matter what the condition, a hotel on Lover's Point is just too cute!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a great birthday weekend you've had, and you guys so deserved it! I'd so love to see the Bay Area myself one day - well, one day it WILL happen, that's for sure! Thanks so much for sharing these beautiful photos and impressions with us! And: Happy belated birthday!