Sunday, February 11, 2007

Two and a half socks

I had a couple friends over on Saturday for a knitting lesson & brunch. It was so great to spend time some time catching up. The knitting wasn't as easy as I had hoped though. Funny how you forget how challenging it can be when attempting it for the first time. My friend Andrea really struggled, but when I realized she was trying to hold the yarn in her left hand (she said this is how she crochets), I decided to teach her to knit continental, and that seemed much more natural for her. Still, it was a lot to take in. I suspect it'll really click with her on a second lesson. Katy had done it before and picked it up easily.

I finished the Monkey socks and I love them! I want all my socks from now on to be monkeys.
But instead I immediately cast on a Dublin Bay sock. I had started this sock 3 or 4 times in different patterns. I love love love the yarn. It's J.Knits in the North Carolina colorway. After my failed attempts at various patterns from Sensational Knitted Socks, I finally decided something simple would be the best way to show off the fun colors. But I can't stand plain stockinette, so I found this pattern and it seemed just perfect. And I do like it quite a lot. I am using 64 stitches, instead of the 72 called for in the pattern. And this is my first magic loop sock. And I'm digging it. I'm pretty sure this will be my preferred sock method from now on.


One week from tomorrow is my 39th birthday. Woohoo! I'm working hard at changing my attitude about turning 39. Life is good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yummy, the Monkey socks look absolutely fantastic! Great pattern, and I so adore the colour of the yarn you've been using! And yay for the "Dublin Bay Socks" - these are very high up on my "Have to knit" list - so gorgeous!
I *so* hear you about the changing-of-attitude thing now with our birthdays coming up - it's a very important time in our lives, it seems, and mind you, I wish you all the very, very best in being able to fulfill all your goals and dreams!