Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Sock knitting and head colds

So, Christine from the Pointy Sticks Podcast (which is excellent!) is having a podcasitversary contest for some fun prizes, and asked for people to leave her a comment about sock knitting. So, of course, I did. And I'll repeat my feelings about socks here. I do like the sock knitting quite a lot, mostly because socks are a nice, portable project, but also because I love to wear the handknit socks. I'm not a fast sock knitter, so I don't really knit them for other people, but someday I'll be faster at it, and also more generous about it. I can only do the top-down, heel-flap socks. I simply can't figure out short row heels to save my life. I do intend to learn the magic loop method very soon. And my current sock status is... I finished one Monkey sock, and started a second, but it doesn't fit me at all. I worked it on too small a needle, and too tightly, and also the heel flap's not deep enough. So my dilemna is, should I continue with the second sock and find someone to give them to, or should I rip out the first and start over. I am so not inclined to do that at this point, so maybe I'll find someone to try out the first sock and if I find a good fit (Cinderella?), I'll do the second sock. Meanwhile, I have some lovely J-Knits sock yarn that I'd like to wind up and start a new pair, magic loop style. I've been wanting to try something from Sensational Knitted Socks, so I think that's what I'll do. Tomorrow I'll get out the ball winder and swift and wind some yarn!

I'm working on the icord trim for my Samus cardigan. Then I just need a trip to a fabric store to find a zipper and ribbon and then I'll be able to wrap this baby up. I LOVE this sweater. And it seems to fit me quite well, except I think the sleeves are a little too big/baggy. But I can live with that. I can't wait to be able to wear it out in public.

And as for the head cold....I am feeling so incredibly crappy today. This cold hit me so hard and fast. I could not sleep last night, in spite of my nyquil capsules. I just couldn't breathe. And the sudafeds are not helping a bit. And of course the new forumula is just not as effective as the real stuff. Damn those stupid meth addicts for ruining sudafed for us sickies. Looks like I'm gonna need a couple days of work (boo hoo), but I hope it clears up before the weekend.

No comments: